Monday, March 29, 2010

Thanks Jen for the great tip!!!

I learned a great lesson about composition when I took a quilting class a few years ago, which I instantly related to my use of patterned papers. The trick is to vary the size and weight of the patterns in the paper. Find a pattern paper you like. Pick papers that are some of the colours pulled from that first pattern paper. Vary the size of the patterns on each of the other papers you've chosen. If you are using patterns and then you choose a solid, your eye will always stop on the solid, so pick something at least with a tone on tone pattern to keep your eye moving. I sewed a beautiful quilt but chose a solid navy as one of my choices and everywhere it is on the quilt my eye just stops on those spaces.



The great thing about using papers from the same product line is that these trained designers have done that process for you...all the papers go together and the size and weight of each paper is already varied.


Another trick I use to see if my pattern papers go well together is to overlap them and only show about an inch of each paper. You can tell pretty quickly what doesn't work. I do this with my quilt fabrics as well!


Your $5.00 in-store credit is waiting for you during your next shopping trip at Yesterday's Memories!

No comments: